Population Atlas of the Netherlands
The interactive population atlas of the Netherlands is based on the book Bevolkingsatlas van Nederland (Population Atlas of the Netherlands) compiled by the Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute (NIDI). This book was published at the occasion of the affiliation of NIDI to the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW) as of January 1, 2003.
The interactive population atlas includes a selection of maps from the book:
The data used in the interactive population atlas originate from the following data sources:
- the so-called Hofstee archives
- the Historical-Ecological Database (HED)
- Statistics Netherlands (CBS)
The historical maps with the historical municipal classifications used in the interactive population atlas are based on the municipal boundary maps digitized by the Department of Economic and Social History of Radboud University Nijmegen. See:
- Boonstra, O.W.A. (1994),
- Mapping the Netherlands, 1830-1994: the use of NLKAART. In: Goerke, M. (ed.), Coordinates for historical maps. Göttingen: Max Planck Institute für Geschichte, p. 156-161.
- Boonstra, O.W.A. (2007),
- NL-GIS shapefiles, 1830-1997. Dataset deposited with DANS - Easy Archiving System [Dataset ID number: twips.dans.knaw.nl-5634005992850788124-1196864410869]
The latest municipal boundary maps (from 2000 onwards) are based on municipal boundary maps from Geodan.